Division of property can be one of the most contentious disputes in any divorce. A skilled and experienced divorce attorney can help you resolve complex issues related to division of assets and debts.
Recognized. Accomplished. Well-respected. . . and In Your Own Backyard
Call us at 860-631-5368 or toll free 866-751-5691
At D'Amico, Griffin and Pettinicchi, LLC our divorce attorney helps clients achieve a fair and equitable property division as part of our comprehensive divorce and family law services. Attorney Tom Pettinicchi, has more than 21 years of experience helping divorce clients resolve or litigate disputes over property division.
We handle property division issues for clients with modest amounts of marital assets as well as for clients who have sophisticated marital estates worth many millions of dollars.
Marital assets may include:
- Real estate holdings
- Cars and boats
- Stocks, bonds, mutual funds and other securities
- Employee stock options
- Employee benefits such as accrued vacation time and frequent flyer miles
- Art, coin, antique, or other collections
Connecticut law calls for an equitable division of marital property. To achieve this goal while protecting your interests, we analyze assets by asking three questions:
- Is the item an asset? If it has tangible value, it's an asset.
- Is it a marital asset? Was it acquired during the marriage or brought in to the marriage as separate property? If it was acquired before the marriage, the appreciation or depreciation in value that occurred during the marriage may be considered part of the marital estate.
- How do you equitably divide the asset? Equitable distribution of property may require an expert to value the asset, or value the appreciation in an asset that was brought into the marriage by one spouse.
We seek to meet your goals by developing workable options and strategies. If you want to avoid selling your business, for example, we may negotiate for your spouse to keep a different asset and for you to keep the business.
Marital Property Division Lawyer
As in all areas of our divorce practice, we will not allow your spouse to take advantage of you. You can rely on us for strong and knowledgeable representation in all property division matters. To discuss your concerns, please contact Tom Pettinicchi at D'Amico, Griffin and Pettinicchi, LLC today.